Considering the number of children sharing one confined space, it’s no secret that daycares can be a haven for germs.
Because of their underdeveloped immune systems and lack of experience with healthy habits, kids are often more susceptible to contracting and spreading bacteria and viruses.
For this reason, daycares typically require more thorough cleaning than other facilities. To keep the little ones happy and healthy in your daycare facility, you’ll have to up your disinfecting game by investing in cleaners that are kid-friendly and safe, but still powerful and effective.
How germy are daycares?
Think about the various objects and surfaces in daycares, from toys to tables. Now think about how many children come into contact with them.
From crawling around on the carpet to sharing building blocks and coughing on desks, many kids simply don’t know any better when it comes to practicing good health — and the consequences can be dire.
According to Verywell Family, kids who attend daycares and preschools have a two- to threefold increase in risk for respiratory infections, ear infections and diarrheal disease. Infections like conjunctivitis, colds and respiratory bugs also spread quickly and easily in these settings. These illnesses are then brought home to their families, and often passed from person to person.
There are a few different factors that contribute to the increased number of germs and incidence of illness in a daycare setting:
- Frequent physical contact. As children play and interact with each other and with their teachers, they’re likely to transmit germs they pick up from the environment.
- Lack of personal hygiene. Young children haven’t yet developed an understanding of how germs and disease spread, nor have they picked up hygienic habits like frequent hand-washing, covering their mouth for sneezing and coughing, and rubbing itchy eyes. Additionally, if the daycare accepts children who are still in diapers, that poses another potential source for spreading germs and infection.
- Underdeveloped immune systems. Without a fully-mature immune system, children’s bodies simply can’t fight off infections the way adults can.
- Unvaccinated children. While many daycares require proof of vaccinations for each child, very young children may not have had their full course of vaccines yet, leaving them and others more susceptible to disease.
If you own or manage a daycare, it’s your responsibility to combat these risks with proper cleaning and disinfecting practices.
What are the best cleaning products to use in daycares?
In an environment specifically created for children, it is crucial to use safe, green products rather than conventional cleaners. In fact, many commercial options contain bleach and ammonia, both harmful substances that can lead to severe health issues, such as permanent skin and lung damage.
That’s why we recommend using SDVO, a non-corrosive, non-irritating alternative disinfecting and cleaning product. Here are some reasons to choose SDVO over other disinfecting products:
- It’s an EPA-registered hospital grade disinfectant.
- There’s no rinse required for food contact surfaces.
- It eliminates odors. (Especially urine)
- It kills mold and mildew.
- It eliminates allergens.
- It kills and prevents biofilm.
- You can use it as a carpet and soft surface sanitizer and spot remover.
- It’s safe for HVAC systems.
- It’s ranked as Category IV (Very Low Toxicity) in all graded areas (e.g. oral, dermal, inhalation, eye and skin irritation).
- It requires no special handling.
- It contains no harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Because of its gentle nature, SDVO is a great option for daycares. Just like you don’t want the kids at your daycare to come into contact with dangerous germs and bacteria, you also don’t want them to face any product that has the potential to irritate or harm them. With SDVO, you can ensure you’re thoroughly sanitizing your facility without putting the little ones at risk.
For better, more consistent coverage, consider also using our Cordless Handheld Electrostatic Sprayer or Cordless Electrostatic Backpack Sprayer. It covers up to 23,000 square feet, which helps distribute the SDVO faster and more thoroughly, while using less solution (and, in turn, saving you money in the long run).
Best practices for keeping your daycare clean and sanitary
Aside from implementing a thorough, regular cleaning regimen for your daycare facility, there are a few things you can do on a daily basis to ensure that your staff and children stay safe and healthy. The Cleaning Institute recommends the following best practices:
1. Wash your hands often.
You and your staff know to wash your hands after coming into contact with a potentially germy surface, but it’s important to encourage the children in your facility to do the same.
3. Carefully read instruction labels for each product.
When using any cleaning product in your facility, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper and safe usage.
2. Choose the right products for the job.
Cleaning goes beyond removing dirt and grime. To eliminate as many germs as possible from your daycare, you’ll need to choose products that can sanitize and disinfect your surfaces. As mentioned above, using green products such as SDVO, which is environmentally friendly and that poses minimal health risks, is essential for cleaning your facility.
Get environmentally friendly cleaning for your daycare!
Using safe cleaners in daycares is not an option — it’s a must. It’s your responsibility to keep your kids healthy. If you’re in need of green cleaning services, the Scalzo Team can get the job done. Contact us at email@example.com for more details.